Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with Dr. Callahan, Dr. Nematollahi and our hygiene team, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use soft piks, proxabrushes or other interdental products to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and under the gum line. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Using a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath can also be helpful.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with Dr. Callahan, Dr. Nematollahi and the hygienist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask Dr. Callahan or Dr. Nematollahi about dental sealants, protective plastic coatings that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask Dr. Callahan or Dr. Nematollahi about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
Ready to Schedule Your Next Dentist Appointment?
Call us with any questions or to schedule an appointment!